Friday, April 15, 2016

Potty training Easton

I will have to go back and update days one and two later. I intended to post this as a status to FaceBook, but it just got too long.

 Potty diaries, Day 5. I know some could not care less, carry on.

On day 3, after cleaning up two very runny stool messes (one actually happened at the Y, sorry my friends!) I decided to give up and put a diaper back on Easton. He must be too young for this, I thought. We didn't wrestle anymore over the potty that day, but he still TT'd on it before bed and kept a dry diaper the rest of the day.

Day 4, Thursday, he wakes up and says no to the potty, but Carson convinced him to give it a go. (Score for big brothers!!) I could tell he had to poop, but we didn't have time to sit and convince him to go since I had to get the bigs to school. Since I had already given up in my head, I just put a diaper on him and got in the car to go. In carline that morning, Easton starts squirming and crying like he's trying not to poop in his diaper. It was pitiful. I told him to let it go and he kept saying "ow, ow!" Like he was hurting. I figured he was just "going" and didn't like it. Even though I had given up, I made my way to Walmart and bought two new potty seats, a cute baseball one and a small on that sits on the floor...thinking maybe they'd entice him to sit some more and try.

When he and I got home, his diaper was surprisingly dry! So since it was just him and me, we decided to park his rear end on the potty, and the new potty chair worked. He went TT straight away. SUCCESS!! We resolved to give big boy underpants another go. Wrong choice. Shortly after that he got a little runny poop in his underwear. So, so, SO gross. After I cleaned it all up and put a diaper back on him, he starts crying and saying he needs to go again. We parked on the potty yet again, this time fully intending to stay until he was done. We sang songs, read books, ate LOTS of snacks, drank some juice, and stayed there for a solid hour. There was finally a little success, but it's basically straight diarrhea. (Sorry, so gross, tmi!) He cried when he pooped on the potty, he cries when he has a diaper on, so we're in a catch 22.

The bright side is this: even though he's had a diaper on, he still takes it off to TT every time he needs to! YAY!! The downside is this: I'm potty training a kid with diarrhea. YUCK!
So if you see us out and about and see a diaper on Easton, you'll know why. I'm pretty sure I messed his system up royally with all the juice we drank on day 1. He's used to water only, and that day we drank SO many Capri suns. Even though they were the roaring waters version, they still have WAY more sugar than he is used to.

Day 5, he has on a diaper, just in case we have another runny day, but he has successfully TT'd on the pot already. I *think* he has that part down. If you can't tell by now, I have very little patience, but I'm so thankful this method of potty training worked for us once again!! Whew! Mama needs a nap!

An update on my mental health through this process: I have cried, napped a LOT, questioned my mothering abilities, wanted to walk away, been really short and snappy with those I love most, and MIA from friends and family. Thanks for sticking by me and supporting me and listening to me whine and complain and encouraging me to push through it!! I've only gone through 2 bottles of wine and devoured one whole cake by myself. Now time to get back to the gym!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww sounds like you and Easton are doing just fine, despite the tummy issues, but it happens. You stuck with it and fought through! All little ones are different and catch on different ways...NEVER EVER question your mothering skills you had two amazing women to learn from and I am sure that they are both extremely proud of you. I have seen you with your babies and you are just as amazing as your mother and Jodi. You are doing just fine momma....don't be so hard on yourself! I absolutely love reading anything you write....woman you need to write a book or a few for that matter!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I love hearing from you! :) Thanks for your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...